POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Gotta catch that train : Re: Gotta catch that train Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gotta catch that train
From: Shay
Date: 30 Oct 2009 14:25:51
Message: <4aeb2faf@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Added some more "steam greebles":
>
> - Corrugated catwalks, handrails & treads
> - Sand pipework
> - Feedwater pipe
> - Pressured air tanks
> - Rivets, rivets and more rivets
>
> Not perfectly authentic yet (e.g. the air tanks should actually go on
> the left-hand side), but authenticity has to wait until after the
> TINA-CHeP deadline (stay tuned on www.tc-rtc.co.uk).

Very nice, but as predicted loses something when "properly" textured. By
modeling in different colors, you revealed things that wouldn't be
present in a photograph or photo-realistic render.

This is important, I think, because so few things render or photograph
well. What looks good in flattened 3D? Relatively convex objects like
faces, buildings, and landscapes. That's it. Sure, you can find some
impressive 3D examples of other things, but compare those to 2D work of
the same subject and I'll bet you find the 3D lacking. A few years ago,
I ran across the CGTalk "Grand Space Opera" challenge which blew my mind
when I compared the 2D to 3D entries.

What's the problem with 3D? I believe there's a human tendency to
separate any image into positive and negative or light and dark space
(look at the difference in perspective one can gain from cropping a
render). A 2D artist can overcome this and create more spaces with his
complete control of localized contrast and "texture" of the flattened
image. A 3D artist could exercise more control than most do, but the
time required for extra light sources and experimentation is great.

Something I will continue to think on.

  -Shay